I would love to live on an exotic island with healthy food, ocean, sand, sun… I love exotic fruits so much. Here is a post about healthy mangoes.
I gathered information about mangoes from different websites and I’m sharing them with you. Let’s start!
“The king of the fruits”, mango is one of the most popular, nutritionally rich fruit with unique flavor, fragrance, taste, and heath promoting qualities. Mango is one of the delicious seasonal fruits grow in the tropics. The tree is believed to be originating in the sub-Himalayan plains of Indian subcontinent.
Health Benefits of Mango
- Prevents Cancer: Mangoes have high amounts of antioxidants in them. Research has shown antioxidant compounds in mango protects us against colon, breast, leukemia and prostate cancers.
- Lowers Cholesterol: The high levels of fiber, pectin and vitamin C help to lower serum cholesterol levels, specifically Low-Density Lipoprotein (LDL) Cholesterol.
- Clears the Skin: Can be used both internally and externally for the skin. Mangoes clear clogged pores and eliminate pimples. Just slice the mango into very thin pieces and keep it on your face for 10 to 15 min and then take bath or wash your face. Use warm water for washing your face.
- Eye Health: One cup of sliced mangoes supplies 25 percent of the needed daily value of vitamin A, which promotes good eyesight and prevents night blindness and dry eyes.
- Alkalizes the Whole Body: The tartaric acid, malic acid and a trace of citric acid found in the fruit help to maintain the alkali reserve of the body.
- Helps in Diabetes: Mango leaves help normalize insulin levels in the blood. The traditional home remedy involves boiling leaves in water, soaking through the night and then consuming the filtered water in the morning. Mango fruit also have a relatively low glycemic index (41-60) so moderate quantities will not spike your sugar levels.
- Improved Sex: Mangoes are a great source of vitamin E which helps to regulate sex hormones and boosts sex drive. Even though the popular connection between sex drive and vitamin E was originally created by a mistaken generalization on rat studies, further research has shown balanced proper amounts (as from whole food) does help in this area.
- Improves Digestion: Mangoes like papayas and several other fruits are fruits that contain enzymes for breaking down protein. Mangoes are very much beneficial for people suffering from acidity and its enzymes helps to relieve indigestion problems. The Bio-active elements such as Esters, Terpenes and Aldehydes present in mango aids to easy digestion.
- Boosts Immune system: The generous amounts of vitamin C and vitamin A in mangoes, plus 25 different kinds of carotenoids keep your immune system healthy and strong.
- High Iron for Women: It’s a known fact that mango is rich in Iron. People who suffer from anemia can regularly take mango along with their dinner. Generally women after menopause become weak and they should take mangoes and other fruits rich in iron. Pregnant ladies can also take mangoes occasionally as their body needs iron and calcium during that time. Too much consumption of mangoes should be avoided during pregnancy. If you have generally taken lots of mangoes right from your childhood then you can consume mangoes when you are pregnant as it wont affect your body.
- Improves Concentration and Memory Power: Mangoes are useful to children who lack concentration in studies as it contains Glutamine acid which is good to boost memory and keep cells active.
After all these health benefits I found a mango lemonade recipe that I wanted to share with you. I know it is not a winter drink but we hopefully can drink it a lot in summer.
Mango Lemonade (Recipe from whatmegansmaking)
1/2 cup mango puree that has been strained through a fine mesh strainer
3/4 cup granulated sugar
5 cups water
3/4 – 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
Bring the mango puree, sugar, and water to a boil, and then simmer until the sugar is dissolved, about 10 minutes. Let cool completely then stir in the lemon juice. Serve over ice.
My favorite mango flavored beauty products are I Love … Mango&Papaya. They have an amazing smell.
Have a healthy day!